UNIVERSITIES ACT, 1997
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
PRELIMINARY AND GENERAL
1. Short title.
6. Repeals and savings.
ESTABLISHMENT AND IDENTITY OF UNIVERSITIES
7. Reconstitution of constituent colleges.
8. Incorporation of educational institutions with existing universities.
9. Establishment of additional universities.
10. Change of name of university.
11. Amendment of Dublin City University Act, 1989, and University of Limerick Act, 1989.
Objects and Functions
12. Objects of university.
13. Functions of university.
14. Academic freedom.
15. Governing authority.
16. Composition of governing authority.
17. Chairperson of governing authority.
18. Functions of governing authority.
21. Suspension of governing authority.
22. Governing bodies of existing colleges, etc., to continue in office until first governing authorities constituted.
23. Determination of composition of first governing authority.
Staff of University
24. Chief officer.
26. Dispute resolution.
27. Academic council.
28. Composition of academic council.
29. Business of academic council.
30. Continuation of existing academic councils.
Charters and Statutes
31. Charters and supplementary charters.
32. Preservation of charters.
Planning and Evaluation
34. Strategic development plan.
35. Quality assurance.
36. Equality policy.
Finance, Property and Reporting
38. Borrowing and loan guarantees.
39. Keeping of accounts and records.
41. Report and information.
42. Disposal of land, etc.
The National University of Ireland, Maynooth
43. Establishment of National University of Ireland, Maynooth.
44. Transfer of existing staff.
NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF IRELAND
45. Amendment of Charter of National University of Ireland.
46. Amendment of Irish Universities Act, 1908.
47. Relationship of constituent universities to National University of Ireland.
48. Membership of constituent universities.
51. Information on staffing.
52. Educational institution not to be described as university.
ACTS REFERRED TO
|Arbitration Acts, 1954 and 1980
Comptroller and Auditor General (Amendment) Act, 1993
||1993, No. 8
Dublin City University Act, 1989
||1989, No. 15
Dublin Institute of Technology Act, 1992
||1992, No. 15
Higher Education Authority Act, 1971
||1971, No. 22
|Irish Universities Act, 1908 8 Edw. 7.c. 38
National Institute for Higher Education, Dublin, Act, 1980
||1980, No. 30
National Institute for Higher Education, Limerick, Act, 1980
||1980, No. 25
Regional Technical Colleges Act, 1992
||1992, No. 16
University of Limerick Act, 1989
||1989, No. 14
Number 24 of 1997
UNIVERSITIES ACT, 1997
AN ACT TO CONSTITUTE OR ESTABLISH CERTAIN COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES AS UNIVERSITIES UNDER THIS ACT, TO ALLOW FOR THE INCORPORATION OF EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS AS PARTS OF UNIVERSITIES OR AS UNIVERSITIES IN THEIR OWN RIGHT, TO PROVIDE FOR THE GOVERNANCE OF UNIVERSITIES WHICH ARE IN RECEIPT OF MONEYS PROVIDED BY AN tÚDARÁS BY THE CONSTITUTING OF GOVERNING AUTHORITIES AND ACADEMIC COUNCILS AND PROVIDING FOR THEIR POWERS AND FUNCTIONS, TO MAKE CERTAIN PROVISIONS RELATING TO STAFF, PLANNING AND FINANCIAL SCRUTINY AND REPORTING OF UNIVERSITIES, TO AMEND OR PROVIDE FOR THE CONTINUATION AND AMENDING OF CERTAIN UNIVERSITY CHARTERS AND THE CONTINUATION OF STATUTES, TO REPEAL THE
NATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR HIGHER EDUCATION, LIMERICK, ACT, 1980
NATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR HIGHER EDUCATION, DUBLIN, ACT, 1980
, AND CERTAIN PROVISIONS OF OTHER ACTS, TO AMEND CERTAIN OTHER ACTS, AND FOR CONNECTED PURPOSES.
[14th May, 1997]
BE IT ENACTED BY THE OIREACHTAS AS FOLLOWS: